Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 2 hrs 30 mins + | Serves: 4+
• 4 x PGI Welsh Lamb shanks
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• Juice of 2 lemons
• 6 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 garlic bulb, halved
• 4 bay leaves
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• Sprigs thyme
• Sprigs rosemary
• 600g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 4 large tomatoes, cut into thick wedges
• 1 large red onion, sliced
• 200g feta cheese, crumbled
• 100ml dry white wine
• Fresh chopped herbs to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C / 170˚C fan / Gas 5.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, place the shanks in the pan and season. Sear the shanks quickly, browning them all over.
3. In an oven tray or deep casserole dish, place the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, rosemary, potatoes, tomatoes, wine and half of the feta cheese. Stir well. Place the halved garlic in the tray.
4. Place the lamb shanks on top and cover with foil.
5. Cook for approximately 2 - 2 hours 30 minutes, depending on the size of the shanks.
6. Remove the foil and place back in the oven for a further 30 minutes, basting the shanks with the juices.
7. Before serving, top with the remaining feta cheese and chopped herbs. Squeeze the garlic bulb into the juices.
8. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.