Roast leg of Welsh Lamb with gin and cranberry
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves: 6)
1 PGI Welsh Lamb leg joint, allow 175-350g per person
450g PGI Welsh Lamb or PGI Welsh Beef sausages, slit skins and remove meat
6 tbsp gin
3 tbsp cranberry sauce
4 small red onions
1 tsp butter
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4-5. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time: medium – 25 minutes per 450g / 500g plus 25 minutes or well done – 30 minutes per 450g / 500g plus 30 minutes.
2. Line a roasting pan with two sheets of foil and place the lamb leg onto the foil. Mix together the gin and cranberry sauce and spoon this over the lamb.
3. Scrunch the foil around the joint, but leave the top exposed. Place the joint in the preheated oven to roast and baste occasionally during cooking.
4. Add the onions 45 minutes before the end of the final cooking time for the lamb.
5. Meanwhile cut the onions in half horizontally (stalk at top) and using a spoon scoop out some of the layers leaving 2-3 in the shell.
6. Roughly chop the removed onion. In a pan heat butter and lightly fry the onion. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the rosemary and sausage meat and combine together.
7. Take a handful of mixture and stuff into onion shells. Prop up around the joint, drizzle with a little olive oil and cook for 40-50 minutes until onion soft and fully golden. Rest the joint for about 15 minutes.
8. Serve with roasted potatoes, baked onions, seasonal vegetables and cranberry gin meat juices.